Peanuts sightings
Tim Chow
2015-11-08 18:11:03 UTC
The new movie has rekindled some interest in Peanuts. Three recent sightings:

1. Cryptic crossword in the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/26722

2. Article in the Atlantic Monthly. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/11/the-exemplary-narcissism-of-snoopy/407827/

3. American Way (American Airlines magazine). I can't seem to find it on the website, but the 7 October 1963 strip was reprinted in a short blurb about wisdom in the comics.

---
Tim Chow
Andrew B.
2015-11-21 19:47:03 UTC
Near the end of this article the author writes "The final comic strips, which came out when Schulz realized he was dying, are pretty heartbreaking. All of the characters seem to be trying to say goodbye" - presumably not realising that most of the strips she cites are re-prints from 1974.
Tim Chow
2015-11-22 03:59:38 UTC
Post by Andrew B.
Near the end of this article the author writes "The final comic strips, which
came out when Schulz realized he was dying, are pretty heartbreaking. All of
the characters seem to be trying to say goodbye" - presumably not realising
that most of the strips she cites are re-prints from 1974.
Good catch.

Back in 2000, I did a retrospective of the final year of Peanuts and I found that a lot of themes did actually come to a pretty satisfying conclusion.

http://alum.mit.edu/www/tchow/peanuts/1999review

---
Tim Chow