_Peanuts_ (19-May-1962): Kite Snagged on Submarine Raton
Jym Dyer
2009-05-16 16:38:52 UTC
=v= Today's _Peanuts_Classics_ reprints a May 19, 1962 strip
that wasn't in any of the book collections:

http://comics.com/peanuts/2009-05-16/

I presume this is because it refers to a news item of the day.

=v= A web search shows that there was a submarine named the
USS Raton. It even has its own fan page:

http://www.ratonss270.com/

(WARNING: web page plays "Anchors Aweigh" in the background.)
I didn't find anything about a kite incident, though.
<_Jym_>
f***@gmail.com
<_Jym_>
JohnJ
2015-01-27 01:53:13 UTC
Post by Jym Dyer
=v= Today's _Peanuts_Classics_ reprints a May 19, 1962 strip
http://comics.com/peanuts/2009-05-16/
I presume this is because it refers to a news item of the day.
=v= A web search shows that there was a submarine named the
http://www.ratonss270.com/
(WARNING: web page plays "Anchors Aweigh" in the background.)
I didn't find anything about a kite incident, though.
<_Jym_>
The link
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=955&dat=19620409&id=SWxIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8FYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4353,1711081
opened right up to the article in the page titled Kite Lodges On Periscope,
and in the first sentence mentions that the sub "returned from a weekend
cruise with a kite atop its periscope." etc., etc.

John