Sporcle quiz
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-10-12 16:49:37 UTC
The website Sporcle.com has a Peanuts trivia quiz.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/tobley/good_ol_charlie_brown

I don't have a Sporcle account so I'm not able to add any comments to the
Sporcle web page. After a day or two I'll post some comments here on the
newsgroup, but I won't say anything now so as not to spoil anything.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
the center of the earth. ---Galileo, Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences
angelolady
2010-10-13 02:31:33 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
I don't have a Sporcle account so I'm not able to add any comments to the
Sporcle web page.  After a day or two I'll post some comments here on the
newsgroup, but I won't say anything now so as not to spoil anything.
No fair!! It makes you spell Schlabotnik (or whatever) right and you
run out of time.

Rhonda
treadhead
2010-10-13 15:42:48 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
I don't have a Sporcle account so I'm not able to add any comments to the
Sporcle web page.  After a day or two I'll post some comments here on the
newsgroup, but I won't say anything now so as not to spoil anything.
No fair!!  It makes you spell Schlabotnik (or whatever) right and you
run out of time.
Rhonda
I got 13 out of 14...Did not know lucky number answer!!!
Jeff
angelolady
2010-10-13 21:41:01 UTC
Post by treadhead
I got 13 out of 14...Did not know lucky number answer!!!
Jeff
I didn't know that one. Was just going to kee guessing til I got it,
but couldn't get off that crazy name spelling!

Rhonda
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-10-14 18:13:03 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
The website Sporcle.com has a Peanuts trivia quiz.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/tobley/good_ol_charlie_brown
I don't have a Sporcle account so I'm not able to add any comments to the
Sporcle web page. After a day or two I'll post some comments here on the
newsgroup, but I won't say anything now so as not to spoil anything.
O.K., here are my comments. Some of them were inspired by the comments on
the page itself by registered users. Overall, I thought this was a nice
quiz, with questions of varying levels of difficulty.

1. As far as I know, the idea that Charlie Brown's lucky number is 13 is
the product of the quizmaster's imagination. I don't recall ever having
heard this before. Anyone know any different? All the other questions
I thought were fair, even though in some cases you could quibble over the
precise wording or argue for alternate answers.

2. I actually liked the fact that the quiz forced you to spell Schulz and
Shlabotnik correctly. Note that on Feb 22, 1957, Schroeder refers to a
different fictional character, Joseph Schlabotnik (with a "c").

3. Regarding "little red-haired girl" and "little red-headed girl":
It is certainly true that in the strip, "little red-haired girl"
is used consistently. However, in the musical "You're a Good Man,
Charlie Brown," Charlie Brown refers to the "little red-headed girl."
I remember this distinctly because I found it jarring when I first saw
the musical. I also noticed that in one of the articles reprinted in
the recent collection "My Life With Charlie Brown," Schulz uses the term
"little red-headed girl." It's possible that this was a copy-editor's
error, but the use of "the little red-headed girl" in the musical is
enough to convince me that it should be accepted as an alternate answer.
Covenant
2010-10-14 19:55:32 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
1. As far as I know, the idea that Charlie Brown's lucky number is 13 is
the product of the quizmaster's imagination. I don't recall ever having
heard this before. Anyone know any different?
See... *I* immediately thought that was the answer.
But I don't know WHY.
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-10-14 21:58:20 UTC
Post by Covenant
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
1. As far as I know, the idea that Charlie Brown's lucky number is 13 is
the product of the quizmaster's imagination. I don't recall ever having
heard this before. Anyone know any different?
See... *I* immediately thought that was the answer.
But I don't know WHY.
O.K., some web-searching turned up the fact that in the show "Someday
You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown," Charlie Brown says that 13 is his lucky
number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someday_You%27ll_Find_Her,_Charlie_Brown
Covenant
2010-10-15 16:10:30 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
Post by Covenant
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
1. As far as I know, the idea that Charlie Brown's lucky number is 13 is
the product of the quizmaster's imagination. I don't recall ever having
heard this before. Anyone know any different?
See... *I* immediately thought that was the answer.
But I don't know WHY.
O.K., some web-searching turned up the fact that in the show "Someday
You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown," Charlie Brown says that 13 is his lucky
number.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someday_You%27ll_Find_Her,_Charlie_Brown
YES.. of course!!!

Tim , as always..... genius! ;' )
Jym Dyer
2010-10-26 07:54:17 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
It is certainly true that in the strip, "little red-haired
girl" is used consistently.
=v= IIRC, "the little girl with the red hair" has been said.
<_Jym_>

P.S.: I got 100%, but only because of a wild-assed guess at
the lucky number. More surprising to me is that 55% of the
quiz-takers got it right?!?!?
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-10-26 15:04:19 UTC
Post by Jym Dyer
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
It is certainly true that in the strip, "little red-haired
girl" is used consistently.
=v= IIRC, "the little girl with the red hair" has been said.
Yes, you're right...several times.
Post by Jym Dyer
P.S.: I got 100%, but only because of a wild-assed guess at
the lucky number. More surprising to me is that 55% of the
quiz-takers got it right?!?!?
I suspect that most of them just guessed. If you had only a passing
knowledge of Charlie Brown, and had to guess what his "lucky number" was,
what would you guess? Charlie Brown is always unlucky, and 13 is an
unlucky number.

The other way to get it is the way I got it: Since there's no penalty for
incorrect guesses (other than wasted time), I just guessed 1, 2, 3, ...
until I hit 13.

If the question had instead been, "Name of TV special in which Charlie
Brown's lucky number is revealed to be 13" then there's no way 55%
would get it right.
Andrew B.
2010-10-26 22:55:23 UTC
P.S.:  I got 100%, but only because of a wild-assed guess at
the lucky number.  More surprising to me is that 55% of the
quiz-takers got it right?!?!?
I suspect that most of them just guessed.  If you had only a passing
knowledge of Charlie Brown, and had to guess what his "lucky number" was,
what would you guess?  Charlie Brown is always unlucky, and 13 is an
unlucky number.
The other way to get it is the way I got it: Since there's no penalty for
incorrect guesses (other than wasted time), I just guessed 1, 2, 3, ...
until I hit 13.
If the question had instead been, "Name of TV special in which Charlie
Brown's lucky number is revealed to be 13" then there's no way 55%
would get it right.
Well, no, but that's a far harder question... I remembered seeing
Charlie Brown saying that 13 was his lucky number in a TV special, but
not the circumstances in which he said it, never mind the name of the
show.