Punch line on 1967-02-22
Pierre Dubuc
2010-10-16 18:34:11 UTC
Quick recap...

Sally takes a crayon from school, breaks it and lies about taking it. When
confronted by CB, she goes on about how when a child lies, if the lie
works, then it's not really a lie.

CB then shouts "George Washington!" and Sally ends up in tears and says
she'll never lie again.

I'm not sure I understand how the George Washington allusion can shut
Sally straight so quickly.

Can someone educate me?
--
Pierre Dubuc
***@yahoo.ca
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-10-17 15:46:40 UTC
Post by Pierre Dubuc
I'm not sure I understand how the George Washington allusion can shut
Sally straight so quickly.
Legend has it that George Washington chopped down a cherry tree and
would not lie about it. Washington therefore symbolizes honesty.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
the center of the earth. ---Galileo, Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences
Nat G
2010-10-25 23:28:07 UTC
Post by t***@lsa.umich.edu
Post by Pierre Dubuc
I'm not sure I understand how the George Washington allusion can shut
Sally straight so quickly.
Legend has it that George Washington chopped down a cherry tree and
would not lie about it.  Washington therefore symbolizes honesty.
Of course, the important thing to realize about the story of the young
George Washington cutting down the cherry tree and then confessing
when asked about it is that the story itself is almost certainly a
lie, and a successful one at that, totally undercutting its value as a
moral. More info at
http://www.suite101.com/content/washingtonscherrytree-a954