Apocryphal Peanuts quotations from Sunrise Greetings
Tim Chow
2012-01-10 02:41:30 UTC
Longtime readers of this newsgroup may recall that back in October
2003, I asked about the following quotation that, in one form or
another, is universally attributed to Lucy Van Pelt:

All you really is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't
hurt.

I'm sure that Lucy never said this in the comic strip, and probably
never in any TV show or movie either. It's still a mystery to me when
the words were first put in her mouth.

Today, while shopping for birthday cards, I spotted several Peanuts
cards by Sunrise Greetings. One of them had a 1954 Lucy on the cover,
along with the above quote. I also found a card with Linus and a card
with Snoopy. You can see these, and more, by visiting the Sunrise
Greetings website:

http://www.sunrisegreetings.com/products/pdfs/PeanutsQuotables.pdf

Curiously, though most of these quotes seem to be apocryphal, a few
are genuine. The two genuine ones (other than "Good grief," obviously
correctly attributed to Charlie Brown) are:

Snoopy: Life is going by too fast...I think someone pushed the "fast
forward" button. (9 Nov 1981)

Snoopy: To live is to dance, to dance is to live. (24 Nov 1965)

(Actually, on 24 Nov 1965, Snoopy says only "to dance is to live" and
not "to live is to dance." I seem to recall that he did say it both
ways; I'm checking with Marcie D. to see if she can confirm this.)

It seems a little surprising that apocryphal and genuine quotes would
be mixed together, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The Christmas
countdown panels usually put new words in the characters' mouths, but
sometimes they use actual quotes from the strip.

---
Tim Chow
n***@yahoo.com
2012-01-11 19:42:08 UTC
Post by Tim Chow
[...]
Couple years ago, i saw these cards and thought that
the image of Lucy didn't look...quite...right. After some
looking, i found these 2 1955 strips as the source:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickelshrink/4406586603/in/set-72157623417315751

Head of one and body of the other - plus the card designer
had to draw a speaking mouth, and for some odd reason,
moved her eyes downward.
--
pax,
ruth

Tim Chow
2012-01-12 00:27:05 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.com
Head of one and body of the other - plus the card designer
had to draw a speaking mouth, and for some odd reason,
moved her eyes downward.
Great detective work!

---
Tim Chow
Covenant
2012-01-12 09:07:53 UTC
Post by Tim Chow
(Actually, on 24 Nov 1965, Snoopy says only "to dance is to live" and
not "to live is to dance." I seem to recall that he did say it both
ways; I'm checking with Marcie D. to see if she can confirm this.)
I'm pretty sure the strip had to live is to dance as the first panel and to
dance is to live as the last, with the middle two just snoopy doing that ol'
dance of his....

(Thats how I remember it)
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Tim Chow
2012-01-15 20:22:54 UTC
On Jan 12, 4:07 am, "Covenant"
Post by Covenant
I'm pretty sure the strip had to live is to dance as the first panel and to
dance is to live as the last, with the middle two just snoopy doing that ol'
dance of his....
Good memory! Marcie wrote back and confirmed that this strip appeared
on 5 May 1958, and was reprinted in Peanuts Revisited.

---
Tim Chow