Joe Shlabotnik story
Richard Fangnail
2010-06-26 16:34:17 UTC
There were two Sunday strips in Treasury about Joe baseball cards. In
the "first" strip, CB buys the 500 cards and fails to get Joe; in the
"second" strip, Lucy has a Joe card won't trade it.

For decades I thought those two strips ran in that order, but I just
saw in Complete Peanuts that the "second" strip was actually first.
Lucy's Joe card was not from the incident where she bought the one
card.

While I'm here, what was the first time the Red Baron was mentioned?
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-06-26 17:46:22 UTC
Post by Richard Fangnail
For decades I thought those two strips ran in that order, but I just
saw in Complete Peanuts that the "second" strip was actually first.
Lucy's Joe card was not from the incident where she bought the one card.
Good observation! I hadn't noticed that before.
Post by Richard Fangnail
While I'm here, what was the first time the Red Baron was mentioned?
Not sure, but it was probably in 1965 some time. The Peanuts FAQ (which
is posted periodically to this newsgroup and which you can find at
fivecentsplease.org) says that the first appearance of the WWI Flying
Ace was 10/10/1965 so I would guess that the Red Baron was first mentioned
around the same time. I think 9 Jan 1966 is an upper bound.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
the center of the earth. ---Galileo, Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences
Andrew B.
2010-06-26 20:47:49 UTC
Post by Richard Fangnail
While I'm here, what was the first time the Red Baron was mentioned?
Not sure, but it was probably in 1965 some time.  The Peanuts FAQ (which
is posted periodically to this newsgroup and which you can find at
fivecentsplease.org) says that the first appearance of the WWI Flying
Ace was 10/10/1965 so I would guess that the Red Baron was first mentioned
around the same time.  I think 9 Jan 1966 is an upper bound.
The Red Baron is mentioned in the 10 Oct 1965 strip. 9 Jan 1966 is the
first time bullet-holes appear in the dog-house.

Something interesting I noticed while checking the 1965 strips: both
Sally and Snoopy (in thought) refer to Charlie Brown as "Charlie
Brown", as opposed to "Big Brother" or "that round-headed kid".
t***@lsa.umich.edu
2010-06-27 00:47:04 UTC
Post by Andrew B.
Something interesting I noticed while checking the 1965 strips: both
Sally and Snoopy (in thought) refer to Charlie Brown as "Charlie
Brown", as opposed to "Big Brother" or "that round-headed kid".
Yes. Another observation along the same lines is that Marcie used to
follow Peppermint Patty in calling him "Chuck" but switched to "Charles"
at some point.