Was any Peanuts character ever shown using a computer?
l***@yahoo.com
2016-03-16 21:57:43 UTC
Somehow, I'd be a bit surprised if one did - even if it were Snoopy!

Lenona.
David Windhorst
2016-03-17 12:46:41 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Somehow, I'd be a bit surprised if one did - even if it were Snoopy!
Lenona.
That depends on whether or not you consider the animations to be canon, I guess. There was an episode of "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show" that featured the kids' going to computer camp:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kysm_peanuts-snoopy-s-robot_creation

dw
l***@yahoo.com
2016-03-18 21:47:23 UTC
Post by David Windhorst
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Somehow, I'd be a bit surprised if one did - even if it were Snoopy!
Lenona.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kysm_peanuts-snoopy-s-robot_creation
dw
Good to know, but yes, I was thinking of the comic strips, per se.

I know the animations included Snoopy driving a car at least once - did he ever do that in the strip?

Lenona.
Tim Chow
2016-03-26 02:55:14 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I know the animations included Snoopy driving a car at least once -
did he ever do that in the strip?
Again, I don't think so. As "Joe Motocross" he supposedly drives a motorcycle.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1975/05/10

But it's probably no more real than the Sopwith Camel.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1975/02/18

Similarly, the "world-famous big-rig operator" is just pretending.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1998/03/28

---
Tim Chow
l***@yahoo.com
2016-04-04 18:09:16 UTC
Post by Tim Chow
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I know the animations included Snoopy driving a car at least once -
did he ever do that in the strip?
Again, I don't think so. As "Joe Motocross" he supposedly drives a motorcycle.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1975/05/10
But it's probably no more real than the Sopwith Camel.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1975/02/18
Similarly, the "world-famous big-rig operator" is just pretending.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1998/03/28
And yet, in the 1970s, Snoopy "became" a helicopter - to get Linus off the roof of the barn!

Don't know if he ever did that again...

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2016-04-05 18:57:47 UTC
Tim Chow
2016-04-09 00:45:22 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I think he did - when Linus gives his blanket to Eudora, he changes his mind
and wants it back, but since she gave it to the nasty cat next door, Linus
contrives to get it by hanging from the "helicopter."
Yes, you're right!
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1978/10/28

Snoopy became a helicopter several other times too:
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1977/04/20 (and the next two days)
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1977/07/10
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1982/02/20
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1983/01/13
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1983/03/09 (and on a couple preceding days)

---
Tim Chow

Tim Chow
2016-03-26 02:45:42 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Somehow, I'd be a bit surprised if one did - even if it were Snoopy!
Nice question. I believe that the answer is no.

Snoopy has used a pocket calculator.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1978/11/23

Woodstock has played a handheld electronic game.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1980/01/19

But neither of these are "computers". Computers are mentioned occasionally,
but are not shown.

As early as 1969, Peppermint Patty mentions "computer programming".
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1969/11/10

In 1974, Sally refers to a "pocket computer", but isn't shown using one.
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1974/09/08

The most significant mention of computers is in a story where poor Charlie
Brown walks to school, but "the computer" insists that he is on the bus.
See this strip and the following strips:
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1985/09/03

Here are some other strips that mention computers:
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1977/11/17
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1979/02/19
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1985/10/11

Finally, Snoopy has mentioned the Internet, or actually the "Internest":
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1996/07/21

---
Tim Chow
l***@yahoo.com
2016-04-04 18:08:15 UTC
Thanks very much!

THIS was especially interesting...

http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1977/11/17

Am I right in guessing that at least part of the joke is that practically no one HAD a home computer in 1977? (I know they existed in 1980 - Judy Blume refers to one in "Tiger Eyes." But I'd love to know who had them besides scientists, at that time.)

Lenona.
Tim Chow
2016-04-09 00:30:49 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Thanks very much!
THIS was especially interesting...
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1977/11/17
Am I right in guessing that at least part of the joke is that practically
no one HAD a home computer in 1977?
You're right that home computers only hit the market in 1977 (the TRS-80, the
Apple II, and the Commodore PET were all introduced that year). But even
today, a computer or smartphone malfunction is a rather absurd excuse for
failing to prepare your dog's supper.

---
Tim Chow
l***@yahoo.com
2016-04-06 21:42:10 UTC
Post by Tim Chow
As early as 1969, Peppermint Patty mentions "computer programming".
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1969/11/10
I have to say, that strip is odd. PP's not getting what she signed up for only makes sense if she was filling in blanks on the form with after-school programs that didn't EXIST at that school. Either that or her dad told the school to give her only academic subjects. But I suppose I'm overthinking it. (I noticed that it's from November, so it's not about summer school.)

Lenona.
Tim Chow
2016-04-09 00:25:04 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Tim Chow
As early as 1969, Peppermint Patty mentions "computer programming".
http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1969/11/10
I have to say, that strip is odd. PP's not getting what she signed up for
only makes sense if she was filling in blanks on the form with after-school
programs that didn't EXIST at that school.
It's perceptive of you to notice this. I don't think I've ever thought too
carefully about that strip. But I guess what I assumed was that those classes
had limited enrollment and she just didn't get into them.

---
Tim Chow